Sunday, October 6, 2013

H a m l e t: 1st Impression




While reading Act 1 Scene 2 of Shakespeare's Hamlet for the first time, I couldn't help but feel bad for Hamlet for a few reasons...

  1. His dad just passed away less than two months ago.
  2. If that wasn't bad enough, his mother remarried IMMEDIATELY, and shows almost no signs of remorse or grievance.
  3. His new dad is his uncle, King Claudius, and it's pretty clear the two of them don't exactly see eye to eye.

So yeah, I guess you could say that things aren't going too great for Hamlet at the moment.  It seems like he had a really strong bond with his father, and that he’s not getting the kind of closure he needs after his father’s passing.  No one seems to understand what he’s going through, or to even care that the King has died.  Poor Hamlet begins to wish that "the Everlasting had not fixed/ His canon 'gainst self-slaughter" (1.2.135), meaning that he's contemplating suicide.

What Hamlet really needs is time to grieve, someone to talk to, and a new role model.  Thank God he has the sympathetic and understanding King Claudius and Queen Gertrude by his side to give him just that!

...Oh, wait-- my bad.  That's not even close.

King Claudius tells Hamlet that "to perserver/ In obstinate condolement is a course/ Of impious stubbornness" (1.2.96).  Well I guess that eliminates time to grieve.  Later in the scene, Hamlet discusses his feelings towards his mother's remarriage, and says "But break, my heart, for I must hold my tongue" (1.2.164).  Looks like that eliminates someone to talk to...  But at least he has the noble King Claudius to look to for hope as a reverent successor to his father, right?  ...Whoops-- wrong again.  In Hamlet’s eyes, his father is to Claudius as Hyperion is to a satyr, which is a major burn on Claudius’ behalf.

So yeah, it looks like things aren’t really going too great for Hamlet at this point in the story.  But who knows?  Maybe things will shape up for our protagonist-- it’s not like this is a tragedy or anything.

Oh, wait...

1 comment:

  1. Dear Friend Eliana,
    I agree with you! Poor Hamlet must be going through a whole lot. It definitely would be odd to have your father die, but your mother marry almost right after. It really makes me question the whole ethics thing with his mother. It's really quite a shame about his father. I too agree that it must be hard on him. I have no idea how I would react to my father's death. Personally I would be wearing all black and moping around too. Well I think you and I both agree that Hamlet is probably not having the best time right now, and his whole family situation now is pretty screwed up. I hope that Hamlet will have a long and prosperous life! Don't you too? I hope it happens. Well, until next time!
    Your Friend
    David

    ReplyDelete